600,000 people in Giap district, Ha Nam province were cordoned off, when 4 cases of Covid-19 positive were confirmed in regional hospitals, showing the complexity of the second wave of viruses.
The curfew-like measures took effect on March 31 in Giap district, near Pingtingshan City, Henan Province, central China. 600,000 residents of the district were ordered to stay indoors, according to a notice on the district’s radio station, the South China Morning Post.
“Special compliance is required for moving out of the house,” the notice said. The blockade was issued after reports of new cases related to hospitals in the area. Residents in the district must have a special permit to leave the house and must check body temperature and wear a mask before making the trip.
All businesses suspended operations, except utilities, medical providers, logistics companies and food processing companies. All businesses must be closed, except for supermarkets, hospitals, food markets, gas stations and pharmacies.
In addition, only those with special permits can go to work and cars can only be used on certain days, depending on their license plates.
A district office official confirmed that the district was quarantined: “It is best not to go to Giap district now, nobody can come and leave here,” the source said. A resident contacted by phone said he had been informed of the blockade by the government.
Wang Xiao, 23, said her village was notified of the blockade on the afternoon of March 31. She said authorities urged people to stockpile food daily to prepare for the blockade. Each family is only allowed one member to go out to buy food 2 times a day.
According to a report published on March 29, Giap district confirmed 3 cases positive for Covid-19. A doctor named Liu who works at a district hospital was confirmed to be infected with Covid-19 on March 28. Dr. Liu returned from Wuhan in January, and he continued to work in the hospital after completing the 14-day isolation.
Liu infected two colleagues and an old classmate. These people all tested positive on March 29. This is the second time China has imposed an entire blockade of the region.
Earlier, Wuhan City, where an outbreak of disease had been blocked since January 23. The blockade order is expected to be lifted from April 8.