Nearly 70% of Covid-19 infections in India have no symptoms

Health workers take samples at a mobile Covid-19 testing station in Kochi City, Kerala State, India on April 6. Photo: AFP.
Health workers take samples at a mobile Covid-19 testing station in Kochi City, Kerala State, India on April 6. Photo: AFP.

The Indian Medical Research Council says about 69% of nCoV infections tested in India do not have any symptoms.

India tested 447,812 patient samples, of which 19,984 were positive for nCoV. According to the Indian Medical Research Council (ICMR), only 31% of nCoV patients tested had symptoms, and the remaining 69% had no symptoms.

“This means that when we were beginning to review an nCoV case, two more asymptomatic cases were detected,” said Raman Gangakhedkar, head of ICMR’s epidemiology and infectious diseases department. fears the “silent” possibility of asymptomatic nCoV cases.

Worldwide, data show that 80% of all nCoV infections are asymptomatic or mild, according to the Indian Ministry of Health.

Gangakhedkar added that in asymptomatic infections, the likelihood of patients reporting the disease is low. According to an analysis in the Hindustan Times on April 19, about 65% of nCoV infections in Maharashtra state are asymptomatic. In Uttar Pradesh state, this percentage is 75%.

India’s Ministry of Health says it is using contact tracing and community monitoring to deal with asymptomatic cases. “In this way, we can identify infected patients at an early stage, treat them and reduce mortality,” said Health Ministry official Lav Aggarwal.

Experts say that increased testing could help detect more nCoV infections in India. ICMR also tests all individuals who have been abroad for 14 days, symptomatic health workers or people in Covid-19 hotspots.

Source: https://behecare.com/

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*